I’m breaking my blogging hiatus to post this book list that I stole from my friend the Lady Okie. I love book lists! So here you go.
1. A popular book or series that you didn’t like.
There’s probably a lot more that aren’t coming to mind, but most recently, Rick Riordan’s new series about Magnus Chase. I was hoping that it would be more like Heroes of Olympus, but it was like a rehash of Percy Jackson except with Norse gods. Like, if you lined up Percy and Magnus next to each other, I wouldn’t be able to tell them apart. So, yeah. I was hoping for something different instead of more of the same.
In the same vein, Eleanor and Park. I love all of Rainbow Rowell’s books, but this one fell flat for me, so I’m mad it’s the one that’s getting turned into a movie. I’m assuming my dislike is because I never went to public school.
2. A popular book or series that every one else seems to hate but you love.
Everybody I know either dislikes the whole Divergent series or, if they like the first two books, hated Allegiant, and I don’t know why. I mean, it’s not Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, but it takes a logical turn of events and rounds out the themes started in book one. When I got to the end, I was happy.
3. A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with.
I can’t think of any.
4. A popular book genre that you hardly reach for.
5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like.
6. A popular author that you can’t seem to get into.
My bookstagram feed is full of Sarah J. Maas, and I haven’t felt compelled to pick any of her books up yet.
7. A popular book trope that you’re tired of seeing.
A mysterious man sweeping a girl off her feet and telling her she’s the answer to everything. Or a girl who’s supposed to be super powerful but is also really dumb. Katniss, I’m looking at you.
8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading.
A Song of Ice and Fire. I watched five seasons of Game of Thrones and I don’t have time or desire to go back into that plot in greater detail.
9. The saying goes “The book is always better than the movie”, but what movie or TV show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?
The Hunger Games, definitely, and even the movie only brought me up to a “meh.”
A less well-known one would be John Carter of Mars.